Breaking The Ice With Baby Shower Games!
There are quite a few special events in one's life and one of the nearest and dearest to me, especially at
this point in my life, would be the birth of my children. It seems as though I was married and invited to
several bridal showers of my own and those close to me and now it's come time to send out the baby shower invitations.
Over the past few years of hosting many
different types of showers I've come up with some great games to pass the time and to make it more of a
personal experience for the Mother to be.
Some of my favorites are:
1. Guess the baby's picture –
This is an interactive game which helps avoid having to do the traditional
introductions at the beginning of a shower. Ask each guest to supply a copy of their own baby picture prior to
the baby shower. Arrange all the
pictures in a collage for display on the day of the party. Make sure that all your guests have a name tag to wear during the party and hand out slips of paper with lines for participants to fill in which guest they think matches each baby photo. It's a really fun way to get people to interact and talk and break the ice at the beginning
of the shower….and who doesn't love to see baby pictures?
2. Celebrity Baby Name Quiz (I'll give you a few examples)–
1) Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman used the following names...
a) Isabella Jane
b) Connor Anthony
d) both a and b
2) Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones have
a) a son named Kirk
b) a daughter named Alex
c) a son named Dylan Michael
d) a daughter named Katy
3) Which celebrity has a daughter named Haile Jade?
b) Robert De Niro
c) Tori Amos
d) Kate Winslet
4) Who has a daughter named Giovanna?
a) John Travolta
b) Sylvester Stallone
c) Isabella Rossellini
d) Vanna White
5) JK Rowling (of Harry Potter fame) has...
a) a son named Harry
b) a daughter named Hermione
c) a daughter named Jessica
d) no children of her own
6) Michael Jackson has kids named...
a) Prince Michael
b) Paris Jermaine
d) all of the above
7) Faith Hill and Tim McGraw have kids named...
It's interesting to find out how many people know about the different celebrities lives, and a great
conversation starter that typically leads into talk about interesting baby names.
3. How much do you know your spouse?
This is my all-time favorite thing to do at any baby shower that
I've ever had.
What you do is interview the spouse (privately and hopefully without letting on that they
are being taped to the mother to be). I typically ask around 15-20 questions regarding the baby's
room/name/labor/etc. (Please see below for some examples of questions)
After the introduction game, some food, the celebrity game, some dessert I typically then bring everyone into the TV room where I
play the video where I ask the father-to-be a question and pause the video to get the mother-to-be's
response. In some cases they may guess correctly on the answer the spouse has given and in MANY
cases they are way off! It's a very personal way to really bring all the guests into the life of the parents-to-be! There are a lot of laughs, an occasional naughty word, and typically ending with some tears. At the
very end of the video I always leave it open for the spouse to share some words to the mother-to-be. It's
almost always sure to be a tear-jerker and a great way to see some laughs and some happy tears!
Examples of some questions:
1. What is _____'s due date?
2. What has been _____'s favorite food during pregnancy?
3. Has _____ had any weird cravings?
4. What are the 2 things that _____ can't live without when going to bed at night during the pregnancy?
5. What color is the bedding you picked out for the babies room?
6. What are 3 things you learned during the birth class?
7. What is one of your favorite things about _____ being pregnant?
8. What is one of your least favorite things about pregnancy?
With the three games above I've had some very memorable showers that I'll never forget. The games are
such a great way to show the excitement of the soon to be parents to their guests. It's such a happy time
to celebrate such a wonderful miracle!
Anne has been with Invitations4Less.com since 2004 and came to us already knowledgeable about social stationery after previous employment with a wholesale printing firm.
Anne is mom to two young children who keep her busy and dreaming of sleep. But she wouldn't have it any other way!
Location: Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Location: Great ideas for a fun baby shower!
Location: Thanks, Joslyn. Enjoy!