Countdown To Your Bar or Bat Mitzvah!
Being organized is the key to planning a successful and stress-free Bar or Bat Mitzvah. We've compiled a timetable to assist you in what can be an overwhelming undertaking. As you complete each task, check it off and feel free to add in other items that you think will be necessary.
2 Years prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Schedule the date for the Bar or Bat Mitzvah with the Synagogue.
-Decide on the type of celebration you want (day, evening, semi-formal, etc.)
- Set your budget. (Read our tips on Bar Mitzvah budgeting here
- Estimate the number of guests you'll be inviting.
- Reserve the reception hall, caterer, photographer and videographer.
1 Year prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Book the entertainment which includes the band, DJ, or magician.
- Reserve the photo booth.
- With your child's input, decide on the party's theme and/or color scheme.
- Mail Save-the-Date cards or magnets.
6 to 12 months prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Arrange block of hotel rooms for out of guests.
- Begin shopping for your Bar or Bat Mitzvah Invitations.
- Consult a florist about arrangements for the synagogue, the Kiddush table, and for centerpieces.
- Start looking for decorations.
3 to 6 months prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Finalize your guest list.
- Order your invitations from Invitations4Less.com and make arrangements to have your envelopes professionally addressed by our in-house calligrapher.
- Start shopping for clothing for the entire family. Boys will need a suit or may also rent a tuxedo. Girls should select an appropriate dress for the synagogue and an additional formal dress for the reception.
- Order personalized yarmulkes.
- Order favors for children and adult guests.
3 months prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Make your final selections for clothing, shoes, and accessories.
- Take one complete invitation ensemble to post office to have it weighed.
- Purchase the postage stamps needed for your invitations and reply envelopes.
- Make a hotel packet for out-of-town guests.
6 to 8 weeks prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Mail the invitations.
- Finalize arrangements with the florist.
- Compile list of songs for the DJ or band.
1 month prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Arrange catering for the brunch on the day of the Mitzvah.
- Have fittings and alterations done on clothing as needed.
- Set appointments for hairstylist and manicurist.
2 to 3 weeks prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Choose participants for the honors during the synagogue service.
- Prepare seating arrangements and send to the reception venue.
- Confirm guest count total with caterer.
- Do one final check for the decorations and florist.
- Write prayers, speeches, and toast to be given after the Kuddush.
- Pay synagogue for their services.
1 week prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
- Have formal photos taken.
- Make transportation arrangements for out-of-town guests.
- Confirm brunch arrangements.
As you cross off each task, you can feel confident that you have everything under control.
We hope you find this timeline useful, and welcome your feedback. For a printable copy of this schedule, click here.
By Jeanne Woodyard
Jeanne has worked in the printing industry for nearly 30 years and became the new owner of Invitations4Less.com on January 1, 2012.
When not working with our customers, Jeanne enjoys spending time with family and friends, RVing with her husband and spoiling her two kitties.